Showering will reduce the introduction of dirt, oils, hair products, deodarants, makeup, perfume ect. to the spa. Four people in a spa is the equivalent to 400 people in a swimming pool.
Clean Your Filters
The spa marvel system and other chemical systems relies heavily on filtration. Regular and proper cleaning of the spa’s filters using products such as Spa Marvel Filter cleaner are pivotal to the success of your hot tub.
Clean The Underside Of The Spa Cover
Use a cover cleaning product. If the cover is cracked or torn we recommend it be replaced. The inside of spa covers have been known to harbor mold and bacteria, all of which drip from condensation through the cover back into the spa water.
Maintain Water Level
Water should be at least 3″ above filter intake. Low water levels will lead to cloudy water.
Bathing suits and clothing will retain detergent left over from laundering . This detergent will dissolve in the water and affect water quality. To prevent this wash bathing attire in water without any detergent to ensure it is free of detergent.
Too little circulation may lead to water quality issues.
Shock the hot tub water weekly with a non-chlorine shock (potassium monopersulphate) or as required.
Musty odours are typically a result of contaminants that have accumulated in the spa’s filters or are caused by musty water that drips from the spa cover back into the tub.
Properly clean filters using a product such as Spa Marvel Filter Cleaner, and clean the spa cover. If odour persists, shock the water.
Foamy Hot Tub Water
Spa Marvel reduces surface tension of the water, which removes the platform necessary for detergent-based foaming to occur. Foaming caused by detergents typically doesn’t happen in Spa Marvel tubs. Persistent foaming in a Spa Marvel tub is usually caused by one of four things:
- Low pH and/or alkalinity.
- Water that is too soft.
- Dirty filters. Even a single bather who may have introduced some type of contaminant, like a body lotion/cream etc. can foul a filter, resulting in foaming.
- Certain filter cleaning products can cause foaming if the filter cleaner is not rinsed thoroughly from the filter. Spa Marvel Filter Cleaner does not cause foaming. Always ensure that filter cleaning agents are thoroughly rinsed from the filter pleats after cleaning.
Film on Spa Walls
Spa Marvel contains positively charged ions and your spa surface has a negative charge. Occasionally a bond between these two charges will occur resulting in a slight film that may develop on the spa walls. Simply wipe the surface with your hand or a cloth (rinsed well to remove any existing detergents) to break this bond. The bonding also creates a natural lubricant that allows your spa’s mechanical components and heaters to work better.
High pH and/or high alkalinity can cause cloudy water.
If these conditions occur after the first week of the introduction of Spa Marvel it is typically a result of low filtration times and/or dirty filters. Ensure that your filter is properly cleaned and that the spa is scheduled to filter a minimum of 6 hours per day.
To correct these conditions:
- PROPERLY clean filters with a product such as Spa Marvel Filter Cleaner.
- Shock the spa water.
- Add a water clarifier.
- Increase sanitizer level.
- Check alkalinity (80 – 150 or as directed by your professional spa retailer), and pH (7.2 – 8.2) and adjust if necessary by using traditional spa-water balancing products To ensure great water quality, be sure to use the best hot tub chemicals, which are available from your professional spa retailer. The acceptable range for pH when using Spa Marvel is much broader than when using traditional spa care products, so please take care to read your testing devices properly.
- Allow the tub to circulate/filter continuously (or as much as it can) for 24 hours for these steps to work, then re-clean the filter.
Caused by the development of algae in the spa. Shock the water with 30 grams (2 tablespoons) of sanitizer per 1000 litres (250 gallons) of spa water.
Greenish/Yellowish/Brownish Tint In Hot Tub
Tinges of colour occur when minerals in the source water oxidize (rust). It won’t hurt you, it just looks bad.
To correct this, shock the water with 30 grams (1 ounce) of chlorine or bromine per 1000 litres (250 gallons) of water. Twenty four hours later if the water is not clear, check the chlorine/bromine reading. If the reading is below 3 ppm, shock it again. If it is above 3 ppm, wait another 24 hours and check again. Multiple treatments may be necessary.
Salt-Like Crystals on the Spa Walls
This condition is caused by alkalinity and/or pH being too high, which allows calcium to precipitate from the water and attach to the spa walls, leaving a rough, unpleasant surface. To correct this, balance alkalinity (80 – 150 or as directed by your professional spa retailer) and then pH (7.2-8.2) by using traditional spa-water balancing products available from your professional spa retailer. The acceptable range for pH when using Spa Marvel is much broader than when using traditional spa care products, so please take care to read your testing devices properly.
Manually scrub the buildup from the spa walls, being certain not to use anything abrasive. pH and alkalinity adjusting products are amongst the safest hot tub chemicals that you may use, and are much safer than having unbalanced water in your spa, which could damage equipment and affect bather comfort.
There are several reasons as to why your alkalinity or pH were too high and caused this:
- The source water was not balanced on the initial fill.
- Due to evaporation or spillage, you have recently added large amounts of un-balanced water to the existing spa water, which raised the alkalinity and/or pH.
- There was still debris in the plumbing of your spa that was not removed during the cleansing process. As Spa Marvel reintroduces the debris to the spa water it can cause fluctuations in pH and alkalinity.
- Your tub is not filtering/circulating often enough. Spa Marvel works best at a minimum 6 hours a day of circulation/filtration, and if it is getting less than that it may cause the water to go out of equilibrium and then the ph and alkalinity will not be properly maintained.
Get in touch.
Still having water issues? Conact us!